Sunday, September 21, 2008

I just LOVE fiber shopping....

We just returned from Finger Lakes Fiber Arts Festival. It was our chance to leave the work behind and just go have a good time in upstate New York. Talked with wonderful fiber folks like Maggie Alexander of Maggie's Farm, Bob from Winderwood Farm (look for him on eBay and Etsy) and Jonathan Bosworth who worked his little miracle on my Journey Wheel and with whom we solved the world's problems during a couple of discussions. We also went wine shoppping as we always do when in the region. We picked up a really nice Concord grape wine and a couple of ice wines which I ADORE for sipping after a nice dinner. Saturday night we stopped at the local Tops grocery store, bought some lovely cheese, olives, veggies and a multigrain bagguette to go with the wine. We had quite the picnic in our room, munching Brie/bread/olives, sipping good wine and reading our respective books. It was just the break we both needed.

And now for the good stuff. Some dyed BFL from High Bid Farm (no website but you can find them if you do a search):



The photo just doesn't do it justice, it's much richer than this shows, but what more can you do with the lighting in a motel room?
The always-incredible dyed fiber from Winderwood:



And from Spinners Hill, some combed top and complimentary-colored pouffy fiber (okay, so the technical term is carded cloud, but 'pouffy fiber' sounds exactly like the fiber feels):



I haven't included the fiber I bought this morning, cause there just isn't space for all those photos--once it's spun up I'll do the photography. Trust me, it's luscious! I guess I'm gonna be busy the next couple of weeks. Hopefully most of these will be appearing in the etsy store--except for the Purple Pouffy Fiber, which is mine, Mine, MINE! (I may allow Martha to pet it but, IT'S MINE!)
Many thanks to the Genessee Valley Handspinners Guild who do all the work of organizing this lovely festival.

2 comments:

bognar said...

C-Some would say that jumping up and down saying MINE,MINE,MINE is very 3-year oldish....however, if the fiber feels even half as good as it looks, I would be doing the same thing!!!
Lee Bognar

Feisty said...

Hi there, Lee! I actually didn't jump up and down, but I DID stand in the booth petting the fiber for so long that DH took out his Blackberry and started to surf the net!