Thursday, July 11, 2013

Two of the art yarns for my guild demonstration

I belong to the Butler Spinners and Weavers Guild in (surprise!) Butler County, PA. Way back in the shivery months of very early spring, one of our very skilled members--JoAnn Clark--gave a program on her felting work. She was elaborating on her technique of felting a support for the many smaller pieces she does and gave us the opportunity to felt little balls as a hands-on way to experience how her inner workings were made. And I made a casual remark about doing a program to show everyone how to spin those little balls onto their yarn.

Out of the mouths of babes! (I may be old but I'm still A Babe to Husbeast.....) I'd never really explored this technique much beyond felted and ceramic beads, so I started prowling the shops to see what interesting things I could find to spin into my demonstration skeins. It has been a fun way to stretch beyond what I've been doing, and it's high time I stepped out of my comfort zone again. A creative person needs this push, needs to expand beyond what they've been doing and see what can happen. I'm having a blast with it!

Dragonfly Friends

Dragonfly Friends closeup


Jardin de Roses
Jardin de Roses closeup



















































When I'm done playing with this stuff, I'll have the yarns up for sale in my Etsy shop. Unless I can't resist keeping some of them and exploring further to see what I can knit or weave with them.....

No comments: