Thursday, June 30, 2011

We interrupt your regularly-scheduled travelog.....

....for this important harvest message.
I'm having a squeefest here! This is the third year I've planted a garden and the first year I've had any kind of yield--because the groundhog and the birds wiped me out every year. The groundhog found at least five different ways to dig into/climb over the fencing despite our changing the fencing twice and he/she leveled all the plants, including the raspberries; the birds attacked the blueberries and left us with 8 berries to ourselves last year, and pulled up and ate a lot of the seedlings. We now have a 10' fence around the garden that extends 4' underground, and 100 yds of bird netting over the berries and sprouts. I HAVE BERRIES AND LETTUCE AND PEAS! THE KOHLRABI AND CABBAGE AND CARROTS ARE GROWING MADLY!
Blueberries, black raspberries and snap peas picked this morning

Black raspberries from Monday











Rutabega sprouts

Catnip startings--I must be crazy to think the neighborhood cats will leave these alone


 Having started my seeds indoors in late February every year, it's disheartening (to say the least) to have the wildlife consume my work in a matter of hours in June every year. I have tried different fencing systems, I've run outside uncountable times to shoo them, I've used a paintball gun to shoot over their heads and eventually to shoot at them (paintball guns are notoriously difficult to aim, so hitting anything smaller than a human was impossible--but so very satisfying to see purple paintballs splat on the ground where the animal had been). I've finally beaten them! Yee-haw!


I also washed the newest yarn I've made. Not sure if these will go out for sale or stay with me. I really like the three white/blue/green skeins as they will make a marled knit fabric and there may be enough for a vest for me, the yellow/green and red/blue/lime/white skeins will be enough for scarves for abused women who have gone to a shelter for assistance--it's a charity close to my heart.

1 comment:

Doris Sturm said...

Glad you had a nice harvest and your garden is doing well. Other than bunnies, armadillos and insects, not much interferes with our gardens (if you can call it that) I live in an apartment and just have a narrow strip of dirt where I can grow some things, but not a full-fledged vegetable garden, but next year we are supposed to be getting a community garden with raised flower beds and I'm looking forward to that.

Have a lovely weekend and enjoy your berries. I love all berries, but raspberries are my all-time favorites.